- BA, University Scholars, Baylor University, 1996
- MD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, 2000
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, 2003
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2007
- MSCI, Master of Science in Clinical Investigation, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 2007
Education & Training
Girard TD, Kress JP, Fuchs BD, Thomason JW, Schweickert WD, Pun BT, Taichman DB, Dunn JG, Pohlman AS, Kinniry PA, Jackson JC. Efficacy and safety of a paired sedation and ventilator weaning protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in intensive care (Awakening and Breathing Controlled trial): a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 2008 Jan 12;371(9607):126-34.
Hughes CG, Patel MB, Brummel NE, Thompson JL, McNeil JB, Pandharipande PP, Jackson JC, Chandrasekhar R, Ware LB, Ely EW, Girard TD. Relationships between markers of neurologic and endothelial injury during critical illness and long-term cognitive impairment and disability. Intensive Care Medicine. 2018 Mar 1;44(3):345-55.
Girard TD, Exline MC, Carson SS, Hough CL, Rock P, Gong MN, Douglas IS, Malhotra A, Owens RL, Feinstein DJ, Khan B. Haloperidol and Ziprasidone for Treatment of Delirium in Critical Illness. New England Journal of Medicine. 2018 Oct 22.
Samuels DC, Hulgan T, Fessel JP, Billings IV FT, Thompson JL, Chandrasekhar R, Girard TD. Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroups and Delirium During Sepsis. Critical care medicine. 2019 Aug 1;47(8):1065-71.
- Long-term outcomes after critical illness
- Delirium during critical illness and subsequent cognitive outcomes
- Sedation of critically ill patients
- Liberation from mechanical ventilation