- BA, History, University of Virginia, 1995
- MD, University of Virginia, 1999
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Chicago, 2002
- Fellowship, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington, 2006
- MS, Epidemiology, University of Washington, 2005
Education & Training
Austrian Award for Junior Faculty Research, University of Pennsylvania, 2007
Young Investigator Award, American Thoracic Society Behavioral Science Assembly, 2010
Elected Member, American Society of Clinical Investigation
Chair, NIH Scientific Review Group—Health Services, Outcomes, and Delivery
Kahn JM, Cicero BD, Wallace DJ, Iwashyna TJ. Adoption of intensive care unit telemedicine in the United States. Critical Care Medicine. 2014 Feb;42(2):362.
Kahn JM, Benson NM, Appleby D, Carson SS, Iwashyna TJ. Long-term acute care hospital utilization after critical illness. JAMA. 2010 Jun 9;303(22):2253-9.
Kim MM, Barnato AE, Angus DC, Fleisher LF, Kahn JM. The effect of multidisciplinary care teams on intensive care unit mortality. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2010 Feb 22;170(4):369-76.
Kahn JM, Goss CH, Heagerty PJ, Kramer AA, O'brien CR, Rubenfeld GD. Hospital volume and the outcomes of mechanical ventilation. New England Journal of Medicine. 2006 Jul 6;355(1):41-50.
- ICU organization and management
- Clinical decision making and translation of evidence into practice
- Quality measurement, benchmarking, and regionalization of critical care
- Social and economic determinants of outcomes in critical care