- BA, English Literature, Dartmouth College, 1995
- MD, UCSF School of Medicine , 1999
- Residency, Internal Medicine, UCSF School of Medicine , 2002
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, UCSF School of Medicine , 2005
- MAS, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, UCSF School of Medicine , 2006
- Fellowship, Clinical Ethics, UCSF School of Medicine , 2007
Education & Training
White DB, Angus DC, Shields AM, Buddadhumaruk P, Pidro C, Paner C, Chaitin E, Chang CC, Pike F, Weissfeld L, Kahn JM, Darby JM, Kowinsky A, Martin S, Arnold RM; PARTNER Investigators. A Randomized Trial of a Family - Support Intervention in Intensive Care Units. New England Journal of Medicine. 2018 May 23.
White DB, Ernecoff N, Buddadhumaruk P, Hong S, Weissfeld L, Curtis JR, Luce JM, Lo B. Prevalence of and factors related to discordance about prognosis between physicians and surrogate decision makers of critically ill patients. JAMA. 2016 May 17;315(19):2086 - 94.
Seaman JB, Arnold RM, Buddadhumaruk P, Shields A M, Gustafson RM, Felman K, Newdick W, SanPedro R, Mackenzie S, Morse JQ, Chang CC, Happ MB, Song M-K, Kahn JM, Reynolds CF, Angus DC, Landefeld S, White DB. Protocol and Fidelity Monitoring Plan for Four Supports. A Multicenter Trial of an Intervention to Support Surrogate Decision Makers in Intensive Care Units. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2018 Sep;15(9):1083 - 91.
Bosslet GT, Pope TM, Rubenfeld GD, Lo B, Truog RD, Rushton CH, Curtis JR, Ford DW, Osborne M, Misak C, Au DH, Azoulay E, Brody B, Fahy B, Hall J, Kesecioglu J, Kin AA, Lindell K, White DB. An official ATS/AACN/ACCP/ESICM/SCCM policy statement: responding to requests for potentially inappropriate treatments in intensive care units. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2015 Jun 1;191(11):1318 - 30.
- Surrogate decision making in advanced illness
- Communication about prognosis in critical illness
- Complex behavioral interventions in critical care
- Ethical issues in intensive care units