- BA, Biology, University of Chicago, 1969
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine, 1974
- Internship and residency, Pediatrics, Boston Floating Hospital, Tufts‑New England Medical Center, 1976
- Residency, Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, 1977
- Residency, Anesthesiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 1978
- Fellowship, Pediatric Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, 1979
- Postdoctoral research trainee, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 1980
- Masters in Health Care Policy and Management, Carnegie Mellon University, 2003
Education & Training
Johnson EM, Hamilton MF, Watson RS, Claxton R, Barnett M, Thompson AE, Arnold R. An Intensive, Simulation-Based Communication Course for Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Fellows. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2017 Aug 1;18(8):e348-55.
Peters MJ, Argent A, Festa M, Leteurtre S, Piva J, Thompson A, Willson D, Tissières P, Tucci M, Lacroix J. The intensive care medicine clinical research agenda in pediatrics. Intensive care medicine. 2017 Sep 1;43(9):1210-24.
Nguyen-Ha PT, Howrie D, Crowley K, Vetterly CG, McGhee W, Berry D, Ferguson E, Polischuk E, Brooks MM, Goff J, Stillwell T. A quality assessment of a collaborative model of a pediatric antimicrobial stewardship program. Pediatrics. 2016 Apr 6:e20150316.
Li S, Rehder KJ, Giuliano Jr JS, Apkon M, Kamat P, Nadkarni VM, Napolitano N, Thompson AE, Tucker C, Nishisaki A, National Emergency Airway Registry for Children (NEAR4KIDS) Investigators and Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigator (PALISI) Network Investigators. Development of a Quality Improvement Bundle to Reduce Tracheal Intubation–Associated Events in Pediatric ICUs. American Journal of Medical Quality. 2016 Jan;31(1):47-55.
- Eliminating unconscious bias in health professionals
- Teaching effective clinical reasoning
- Increasing medical student understanding of the impact of social determinants of health