Multidisciplinary Acute Care Research Organization
The Multidisciplinary Acute Care Research Organization (MACRO) provides support services to principal investigators seeking to maximize the productivity and efficiency of acute care research, from the pre-hospital setting to the ICU and inpatient wards. MACRO offers a wide range of services, including 24/7 screening and enrollment into clinical trials and assistance in the conduct of prospective, observational, patient-oriented acute care research.
- Coordination of multicenter studies
- 24/7 subject screening, informed consent and enrollment
- Protocol review and execution
- IRB submission and coordination
- Regulatory support and coordination
- Clinical research coaching for new investigators and trainees
MACRO supports studies of any size, ranging from large multicenter trials to small, single-center, short-term projects. Specific areas of focus include sepsis, ARDS, and trauma; we also facilitate non-acute care studies in neurosurgery, nephrology, bioengineering, and other areas.
Actively recruiting studies
Click here for a table of clinical research studies currently recruiting subjects.
Research Associate Internship Program
MACRO maintains a paid research associate program for University of Pittsburgh undergraduate students with a strong interest in healthcare and research careers. Click for more details and information on how to apply.
Leadership & Oversight
MACRO functions as a partnership between the University of Pittsburgh Departments of Critical Care Medicine, Surgery, Emergency Medicine, and Medicine; and is led by an interdepartmental Executive Committee that includes:
- David Huang, MD, MPH, Director
- Jason Sperry, MD, MPH, Co-Director
- Scott Gunn, MD, Co-Director
- Mazen S. Zenati, MD, MPH, PhD, Co-Director
- Clifton W. Callaway, MD, PhD, Co-Director
- Bryan McVerry, MD, Co-Director
- Barbara Early Young, BSN, RN, CCRC, Consulting Director
- Mary Stefanick, BSN, RN, CCRC, Operations Director
- Dan Unikel, BSBA, Finance Director
- Peter Adams, BS, BA, CCRC, CCRA, Operations Director
Mary Stefanick, BSN, RN, CCRC
Stefanickma [at] upmc.edu
David T. Huang, MD, MPH
Professor of Critical Care Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Clinical and Translational Science